Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sharing Your Life

Our Sunday School class has been studying Paul's letters to Timothy. As an icebreaker today, we went around the room (25-30 people) and shared who we considered to be an important mentor in our life. . . someone who helped shape who we are and impacted our lives. While listening, I made a couple interesting observations.

1) Although a variety of mentors were shared, the two which seemed to spring up predominantly were Youth Pastors and parents, specifically, Dad. People are shaped by their parents to a large degree. This places a tremendous responsibility on parents to model godly behavior to their kids. It also almost makes me want to be a Youth Pastor again . . . what an opportunity to impact young people for God! I thank God for all the Youth Pastors I know who love God with all their hearts and showyoung people how to follow Christ.

2) People in the group were not impacted primarily by the teaching from their mentors, but rather from modeling. By loving enough to spend time with people and living a godly life, we have power to shape lives. This is reminiscent of Paul's idea of "follow me as I follow Christ."

"We loved you so much that we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well, because you had become so dear to us." 1 Thessalonians 2:8

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This points sooooo much to relationship as the key to effective ministry. Spending time with those we want to impact is a major part. Thanks for the post, my closest mentors are those that took time to invest in a relationship with me.

Thanks Brad

Stephanie said...

I'm a product of Youth Alive in the schools. I didn't go to church until late in my teen years, but I considered the youth pastor who came to my junior high every week my pastor.

He wasn't the youngest or coolest guy, but he loved us. We knew that because he came to where we were at and hung out with us. His love spoke much louder than any word he ever said. Once we knew he loved us, we could then trust what he taught us about life and God.

We can read all the books, attend every seminar, and get all the degrees we want to help us with ministry, but without love it is meaningless.

People have always longed for and always will long for true relationships. When it actually happens, lives are changed.

Good blog.