Thursday, June 26, 2008

It's the Relationships, Stupid!


You may be wondering why I have a picture of Bill Clinton on my blog. In his presidential campaign against H.W. Bush in 1992, James Carville wrote three things on a whiteboard to motivate campaign workers and keep Bill Clinton on task. One of those items he wrote was, "It's the economy, stupid!" Clinton had a tendency to focus on too many issues and neglect larger issues. Carville could anticipate that the economy would be a major issue in the presidential race. What was meant as an internal motivator eventually helped Bill Clinton become the forty second president of the United States. "It's the economy, stupid" even has it's own article on Wikipedia.
I know that in my life, I have a tendency to focus on a lot of things. I can get to be very goal and task oriented. What I have learned most over the past few years is the value of friendships. I love my relationships with my family and with the friends that God has blessed me with. So, to modify the words of Bill Clinton slightly, "It's the Relationships, Stupid!" I appreciate all of you who are my friends and share your lives with us.
"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

No comments: