Sunday, February 28, 2021

Mountains and Where Our Help Comes From

I’m drawn to mountains. Mt. Edgecumbe, pictured above, is one of my favorites.  This extinct volcano, resembling a mini-Mt.Fuji, is an iconic landmark in my hometown of Sitka, Alaska.  It has nostalgic value to me, as I spent my formative years observing it.  Dad and I spent days upon days fishing around Mt. Edgecumbe.  It still evokes emotion when I first see it on the jet approach into Sitka.

Since moving to South Central Alaska in 2008, I have been captivated by Mt. Denali.  Towering at 20,310 feet, Denali is the highest peak in North America.  I can see it to the north on a clear day, as I’m getting on the highway to drive to Anchorage from Eagle River, although it is 130 miles away.  There is something about Denali that beckons to me.   I have spent glorious days in Denali National Park observing it, and I took the picture below on one of those trips.


The biblical writers also had an interest in mountains.  Psalm 121 is known as a “Song of Ascent,” one of the songs that the pilgrims would sing on their journey to Jerusalem.  Verse 1 begins with a question:  “I lift up my eyes to the hills— where does my help come from?” (Psalm 121:1, NIV).  Good question!  

Mountains figured prominently in the story of the Bible, with both good and bad things occurring on their peaks.  On one hand, the worship of false gods occurred on the high places.  The mountains were also known as a place of danger.

On the other hand, many powerful events recorded in Scripture took place on mountain tops.  Moses met with God on Mt Sinai, and the 10 Commandments were given.  Jesus was transfigured on a mountain top, and Jesus withdrew to pray on a mountain.  The most important event in human history transpired on a hill.  As the old song goes, “On a hill far away, stood an old rugged cross…”

Many people today are asking, along with the Psalmist, “Where does our help come from?”  In the midst of a pandemic and in the division that exists in our country, where does our help come from?  Can politics, science, or religion provide the answer?  It might be more personal for you.  You may have experienced the loss of a loved one, be suffering from an addiction, or feel yourself slipping into depression.  Where is the help?

Fortunately, the Psalmist does not dwell long on the question before providing the answer.  In verse two, the Psalmist declared, “My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.” (Psalm 121:2, NIV)  Just as in ancient times, our help comes from the Lord.  The Lord gives purpose when we are drifting, joy when we are experiencing sorrow, freedom when we are bound, and salvation when we are lost. 

When you gaze upon the mountains, I encourage you to think of the Lord.  During these unpredictable times, draw close to God, the true source of our help.



No comments: