Sunday, September 14, 2008

Kenai New Life A/G



I just got back from attending Kenai New Life A/G. This church is led by Pastor Steve Brown. I also got to attend a men's breakfast yesterday, which is where I took the first picture of Pastor Steve. I truly enjoyed the service today. It was a challenging message from Pastor Steve about service and sacrifice for our Lord. Pastor Steve and JoLynn how served this church faithfully for twenty years this October. I can tell this is a great church with people who love the Lord and serve Him authentically.
There was one thing they did that I thought was really cool and haven't seen done before. During the prayer time at worship, as I have seen at several churches, people were available to pray with you at the front. However, there were also people available at the back to pray with you. Perhaps this is a common practice that I have simply missed out on.
I think it in very innovative because although insiders have no problem marching to the front of a large public gathering for prayer, people who are new to church find this intimidating. I know that when I am at a public gathering where I am not comfortable, that is the very last thing I would want to do. If people can quietly slip out to the back to have a powerful encounter with Jesus, I think people would feel more free to do that. Jesus never put obstacles in the way of people encountering Him. He met people where there were. There are also practical benefits, such as easier access for people who have physical difficulty in walking to the front who may sit in the back. Anyways, something to think about. Now we are going to lunch and drive back to Anchorage.

No comments: